ARTISTIC BABBLING AND ENVIRONMENTAL DABBLING

I'll keep you posted of my wildlife, discoveries, art and expeditions to keep life multicoloured!



Saturday, February 20, 2010

Spring is Spawning

This morning saw the first spawn in the pond for 2010 - the second latest spawning since 1991. The ice held them off through January and the first half of February, and one frog has been hanging around for a couple of weeks. This morning I could count seven beady-eyed heads poking up just above the water - a minuscule fraction of the 100+ individuals we've had in previous years! But a welcome return to a bit of life in the pond, and another portent of spring!
Only a matter of weeks now before we can watch out for the first Large Red Damselflies Pyrrhosoma nymphula emerging in late March.
.








The pond has been cleared slightly to make more room for the frogs to spawn - it tends to get a bit clogged up towards the end of the Summer, and we were a bit lazy clearing it out this winter - though I didn't fancy getting my hands in that icy water over Christmas. Not that I could, through 3 inches of ice.
.

2 comments:

  1. Yaaay for frogs! Love them. But where is this pond? xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry only just noticed this comment! Its the garden pond!

    ReplyDelete