ARTISTIC BABBLING AND ENVIRONMENTAL DABBLING

I'll keep you posted of my wildlife, discoveries, art and expeditions to keep life multicoloured!



Sunday, May 23, 2010

Sun, Damsels and Voles

It was a gorgeous day when the BDS members met on the Axe Marshes for the second gathering of 2010. The weather had certainly improved since last week's wash out at Stover/Little Bradley, and hopes were high for sightings of Scarce Chaser.



The morning started well when I spotted a sneaky Blue Tit nest in a gate post; I peeked in to see several hungry little open mouths reaching upwards!



We scanned from the road bridge with binoculars, but the only thing I spotted was a possible Otter spraint on a rock! We went down to the river's edge and came across Banded and Beautiful Demoiselles, Large Red and my first Common Blue Damselfly for the year! We searched the water's edge for signs of emerging Scarce Chaser and White-legged Damselfly but had no luck.



On the way back over the bridge,

we spotted this impressive spider on the metalwork




Nuctenea umbratica




We moved on up the river to another patch where Scarce Chaser is often seen... I was really looking forward to seeing these brightly coloured immature dragons, but we didn't see a single one! The nettle beds adjacent to the river hosted more Banded Demoiselles, aswell as Large Red and Blue-tailed. There were also various brightly coloured beetles and weevils living in the nettles.




I took a moment to enjoy the meadow of buttercups...



.

.

.

.



Now we moved onto Lower Bruckland Ponds where we made use of the facilities to have lunch. Some chose the picnic tables, I chose the warm grass! Then we set off as a group, weaving in and out of the ex-fishery ponds to look for elusive dragonflies...




.

The dragons still refused to show, but we did manage to spot a few pairs of Red-eyed Damselflies out on the lilly leaves.




Dad had mentioned to me the reintroduction of Water Voles around the Axe, and how last time he was here he heard a mysterious "plop" into the water. It wasn't long before I heard my own "plop"...something had been chewing on grass stems then disappeared into a wet hole. I began to get excited as I haden't seen these endearing creatures since I was a kid! I scoured the ponds alone for signs of these nibblers.



.
Hole containing chewed stems

.
Nibbled Great Water Grass

.
Nibbled pathway throught the rushes.



It was at this point that I noticed my arms beginning to turn pink, so decided to temporarily retreat into the cool shade of a willow tree. While sitting on the damp, cool grass a heard a rustling in the vegetaion by the pond...twitching willowherb...and then a loud munching noise...

I crept silently to the water's edge where I could see a moving piece of grass, the other end of which appeared to be getting devoured! I leant round to get a better look at the nibbler, but as I put weight on my foot the vegetation crunched beneath it and there was a sudden "plop" and it was gone. But I refused to be defeated...

I sat patiently on the grass awaiting the mysterious animal's return - after a few minutes I was alerted to its presence by ripples and twitching grass, so once again I crept over wielding my camera. I could once again hear the loud chewing and, as I peered into the vegetation, my patience was rewarded...




He's busy nibbling, sadly not in open view



Blink and you'll miss it...

WHAT A CUTEY - made my day, if not my week.....if not my month!

No comments:

Post a Comment