The EuCAN volunteers once again headed to Kingcombe for a specially organised Lepidoptera training weekend. That's butterflies and moths to most normal people, but to us conservationists its a chance to immerse ourselves into running about wildly with nets, getting covered in ticks and looking closely at a whole host of identical moths to try and distinguish between a Brown-line Bright-eye and a Bright-line Brown-eye. And that's if we can even manage to remember those names.
But all in all, its a chance to have a good time with some great people at some gorgeous locations looking at some groovy winged insects.
.
.
I arrived at Kingcombe on Friday evening to find everybody sitting around in the sunshine. A cup of tea helped me freshen up after the sticky car journey, and there were many reunions to be had along with many introductions. Dinner was had and we were off on a trip around Kingcombe Meadows to take in the scenery and local area, put a few moth traps out and listen for some bats. The generators began their chugging as the mercury vapour bulbs blazed and blinded us! We managed to pick up a few Pipistrelles feeding up and down the river, and a walk up to Beech Cottage revealed some screeching baby Tawny Owls in a nearby tree. We could just about make them out, although silhouetted, clambered about unsteadily in the branches. We sat out and enjoyed the last of the sunlight in the garden.
Saturday morning a select few of us gathered around the recovered moth traps to begin the learning process. Straw Dot after Straw Dot passed my eyes as I struggled to take in the species - the nice surprise was the abundance of Eyed and Poplar Hawkmoths (Smerinthus ocellata & Laothoe populi) in the traps. They had their own hanging net basket to sit in quietly while they awaited the attention of a dozen camera lenses! Then the group split and I joined some budding botanists on a walk up the lane to look at some beautiful meadows and attempt to identify some plants. We saw Greater Celandine Chelidonium majus which I was surprised to learn belonged to the Poppy family rather than the Buttercups like its lesser cousin. I also learnt that its bright yellow sap was supposedly good at removing warts! While looking at plants in the meadow, Jenny befriended a Common Blue Polyommatus icarus which took a liking to sitting on her finger - perfect for a few close up shots.
We reconvened at Kingcombe for coffee then headed off to Powerstock Common for some much anticipated butterfly action. The sun was blazing as we set out with our nets to find the Marsh Fritillaries Eurodryas aurinia that are apparently just clinging on at the reserve. Within 5 minutes we had spotted at least three individuals as well as a Green Hairstreak Callophrys rubi . The grass was crawling with irritating ticks so I was on constant alert to remove them from my trousers. While creeping up on a perched Four-spotted Chaser I heard a rustle at my feet and looked down to see a tussock of grass that appeared to be moving... out slithered an Adder and into the undergrowth it went. I saw my first Adder only two weeks ago at Stover...now along comes another - typical! We continued on towards the old railway line, netting our first Wood White Leptidea sinapis on the way. We had lunch on the grass while several Emperor Dragonflies Anax imperator hawked for insects above our heads. I kept spotting passing Marsh Fritillaries as I ate - they're obviously doing better here than first thought!
Sunday morning was another 7am start for the mad moth-ers. We had plenty of traps to get through and all morning to do it. Once we'd sorted out our May Highflyers from our Common Marbled Carpets we were on our way, trawling through the hundreds of moths and listing them. The carpets were followed by pugs and wainscots, hook-tips and prominents. I'll post the entire moth list once I get it. I feel like I could almost call myself an expert afterwards - perhaps only an expert on that particular assortment of species!
Then we headed back as some people needed to catch their trains home. There was time for one last cup of tea on the grass to reflect on the weekend's antics before we said our goodbyes, then the clouds rolled over the sun and it became chilly as we departed for home.
I'm glad my brain had a good lepidoptera soaking this weekend, as my upcoming trip to France will need it...
I'm glad my brain had a good lepidoptera soaking this weekend, as my upcoming trip to France will need it...
No comments:
Post a Comment