ARTISTIC BABBLING AND ENVIRONMENTAL DABBLING

I'll keep you posted of my wildlife, discoveries, art and expeditions to keep life multicoloured!



Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Creatures Galore!

It was another gorgeous day when I caught the bus from Chudleigh to Stover. I started walking through the woods to the sound of a singing Goldcrest, then arrived at the lake to the sound of a singing Willow Warbler. The grebes were asleep and neither were anywhere near my islands - two of which seemed to have been commandeered by Herring Gulls! I made a visit to the feeder with the hope of seeing the Bullfinches on a day that I actually had a camera with me. Sadly they did not show, but I did manage to get one or two shots of the Nuthatch.





The main purpose of my visit was to try and get two year ticks and a lifer - Dormouse, Large Red and Adder respectively. I had found some exuvae on the garden pond but not seen any adult damselflies yet - and I had not heard of any Dormice yet. I came earlier in the day with the hope of finding some morning Adders basking in the sun, so I headed over to the crossroads to check the refugia. Saturday's Slowworm was still under one (had it moved at all?) and I disturbed a few Common Lizards as I walked. I found another Slowworm under the pylon, but no sign of Adders. While walking round checking the ground for reptiles I came across a hoard of Common (or Green) Tiger Beetles Cicindela campestris on the open ground, but as always they refused to be easy to photograph! I had to zoom in from a standing position - as soon as I bent down, they flew off several metres and vanished! While walking I disturbed up to 15 beetles. This was a nice surprise and possibly made up for me still no seeing an Adder!



I met Anne by the picnic site, overlooking the ponds in the marsh where I spotted my first few Large Reds Pyrrhosoma nymphula (YAY!) and we collected a couple of exuvae. We only saw three, but it was a relief to finally tick them off - and was a nice start to my much-anticipated Dragonfly season in Devon!







We headed back to the centre for a quick lunch, then started the long trek around the park in search of all the hidden Dormouse tubes and boxes. Rob found the first in a tube which I watched him weigh and sex (big boy!) and the second was in a box asleep (little girl!). They were the first found this year - it's nice to know they're up and about, I hope to see plenty more about his season.



.

So, two out of three found for the day... I shall have to continue my hunt for the elusive Adder...
.

No comments:

Post a Comment