ARTISTIC BABBLING AND ENVIRONMENTAL DABBLING

I'll keep you posted of my wildlife, discoveries, art and expeditions to keep life multicoloured!



Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Mis(tle)-identified!

It turns out my Mutant Thrush from the snowy garden is in fact a Mistle. His fluffed up appearance was deceptive, not the usual tall, slim, pale bird I'm used to seeing running around on the ground. It was the size that baffled me, and the very un-Mistle-like posture. But of course it is the wing pattern and pale outer-tail feathers that gives him away.





Good record for the garden, along with the best views of Fieldfares I have ever had, a Meadow Pipit around the pond, and 3 Snipe flying by.
The Fieldfares were very fond of chopped apple that I put out on the snow. They fiercly defended it, and often worked together to steal it from the Mistle Thrush!

3 comments:

  1. Sneaky mistlethrush. Still a mutant mistlethrush though...

    My mum and Dad went out and bought a huge multi-faceted bird feeder thingy. Looks like a hatstand with three feeders with seeds of various sorts, several plates for nuts, a bowl for stockier things like fruits and places for fat balls.

    And nothing's gone ever near it. Humprph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the pun-tastic title of the post though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Birds probably need to get used to the feeder being there.. or if they're finding food ok they wont need to feed in gardens!

    As for the pun...I'd already posted it for about half an hour as "mis-identified" before i realised I'd missed a trick!

    ReplyDelete