ARTISTIC BABBLING AND ENVIRONMENTAL DABBLING

I'll keep you posted of my wildlife, discoveries, art and expeditions to keep life multicoloured!



Sunday, January 17, 2010

Shades Of Grey

The title of the post doesn't sound like me does it - the All Colourful One posting about grey?


I am of course talking about the new book by Jasper Fforde which I am currently obsessed with!





It tells the story of Edward Russet and his supposedly mundane visit to the town of East Carmine to undertake a chair census... sounds normal enough, perhaps... But it's all set in a future where every aspect of life is governed by colour - everything from using prescriptions of colour to resuscitate patients, to a social hierarchy based on what colours we are most visually perceptive to - Purples outrank Greens, and Greys are on the bottom rung.


Ever since The Something That Happened (an unspecified catastrophe that separates our world from their's), the world's natural colours have been fading, and Municipal Gardens have to be kept in hue with synthetic colour harvested via artifacts from The Previous world, and administered by a national Grid of pipes delivering Cyan, Yellow and Magenta to the entire "Collective". The world is governed by Rules with an absurdly archaic attitude to life - no loosening of ties, no over-sharpening of pencils, and certainly no marriage between complimentary colours!


But life is turned upside down when Edward meets Jane, a Grey, whom he takes a liking to, but through her begins to accidentally uncover an intriguing mystery....


I won't give away any more, even though I can't anyway as I havent read any further than that yet!


A thoroughly original and delightfully complex world, it is a recommended read for sure!


Please follow the link to find out more about this fascinatingly colourful yet colourless world, I hope you can become as immersed in it as I have...
http://www.jasperfforde.com/grey/grey1.html

A Rhinosaurus

No comments:

Post a Comment